Glencree

Glencree
November snow at Glencree

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Grease traps, Fuzzy wigs & the Archbishop

Pat, Jim & house mate Ranjan save the day!
Sounds like the making of a wild reality show and by all rights it is, because I'm living this roller coaster of a life.

Perseverance is a character trait to be admired, unless it  gets you elbow deep into a backed up grease trap in the plumbing system.  Let me back up a bit - yes… pun intended!  Our kitchen sink has not been draining properly.  Apparently this has been going on for quite some time and no one has made any real effort to rectify the situation.  Standing, greasy water in the sink; ALL day! Oh no, this was not going to work for me.  So I did what any self respecting woman would do.  I bought the Irish equivalent to Drano, "Mr. Muscle" and with do diligence; waited for it to work it's magic. To no avail.  I asked for help. I was told, "Buy some Mr. Muscle, it works great".  Finally I started asking the local gents (that have coffee here at the cafe everyday) what I might do and they said, "lets have a look!"  Three hours, two whiskeys and several buckets of God knows what latter... my sink ran-ith over.  I am so grateful to these kind gentlemen who took the time and were willing to hang in there with me; through the thick until we got to the thin.

-------------------------------------  Earlier this week  ----------------------------------

Dromantine Centre
I had the opportunity to go to Northern Ireland (yep, I crossed the boarder) for a conference; "An Integrated Approach to Peace Building".  it was held at the Dromantine Retreat and Conference Centre.  An estate that dates back to the middle ages.  The Society of African Missions has had the property since the early 20th c.

This was a small conference, giving the participants plenty of opportunity for conversation and sharing.  I was seated at dinner and lunch with the Archbishop of Dublin, Diarmuid Martin and Rev Dr. Norman Hamilton OBE (weren't they lucky) and we had some interesting talks on:
1. The future leadership roles in the Catholic Church by women
2. The healing process that is needed for the entire faith community after such hurt and betrayals have been committed
3. What does real leadership look like in a time of recession?  
I have to say these topic were not always brought up by me.  These were surprisingly open, candid speaking men and I truly appreciated their willingness to put up with "the American".  I found them absolutely lovely.

--------------------------------------   Monday Madness   ---------------------------------

"Leslie, you've got the film crew Monday." "Ok", I say.  "They will be here at half six (that's 6:30am) and will be working until half eight (8:30pm)".  "I'll have details for you soon - maybe Sunday... sorry"

So... this is how it goes sometimes.  Be ready for whatever may come.  Monday it came in the way of Savage Eye a TV show that was filming three segments in one day.  Three different locations (bog, cave & forest) which are within 2 miles of Glencree, three different time period and a ridiculous amount of costumes (think kilts), makeup, wigs and gear.  Fun day but I was running like crazy; part PA, part Tea and sandwiches, all questions all the time... No worries - I got it; was my usual response. I do work with actor in my other life, do I not? Below is a write up about them.  



From the Irish Film & Television Network
Dave McSavage Gives Ireland 'The Savage Eye' 




 thesavageeye-f.jpg
Shooting is underway on the set of the second series of the IFTA nominated comedy series, ‘The Savage Eye’. Shooting in and around Dublin and Wicklow for the next five weeks and directed by Kieron J. Walsh (Raw), the series will see the return of Dave McSavage (Dental Breakdown) alongside his co-writer John Colleary (Touching People) and his fellow impressionists Pat McDonnell (Father Ted) and Dermot McMurrow (Emily’s Song).
Each week ‘The Savage Eye’ explores one subject in its entirety using vox pops from members of the public to inspire the comedy sketches and unflinching rants from numerous fictional characters.

Produced by Katie Holly (One Hundred Mornings), the show’s director of photography is Patrick Jordan (Croke Park Lives). Audiences can catch the new season of the show when it starts transmission on RTÉ Two on November 15th.

 
Can't sign off without a mention about my dear friend Andrew Rekdahl.  He has been in the struggle of his life and is "defying gravity" (he will love the musical reference).  Andrew you are a beast and I'm so happy to report you are doing so well.  I know the road to recovery is still long but you are doing it with the strength of ten men! I'm so proud of you and so grateful you are getting better day by day.

 I told you it has been a roller coaster this week.

1 comment:

  1. Ah, Leslie I can see that you are totally in your element!

    ReplyDelete